Talk of Life

Thursday, October 27, 2005

VM 2.5: Blast from the Past

It's Thursday. Last night's episode of Veronica Mars was a blast. (From the past.)

Last night was VM episode 2.5 "Blast from the Past." Wallace had to deal with his visitor from the past. Veronica also discovered that one of the kids killed in the bus crash left a voicemail right before plunging to her death -- the "blast" being an explosion that occurred before the bus hit the railing. Veronica also got punk'd by a message from Lilly in the afterlife: "You should have stayed away from my boyfriend." I'm not sure whose idea it was to punk her with that message, but that was a low blow, man. I don't think I believe Jackie that she had no part of that and that it was all the psychic's idea. Okay, I get that the whole town probably knows the whole story, but still. Low blow.

So Wallace finally gets an episode revolving mostly around him. Percy Daggs III did a great job, I thought. And "Papa was a Rolling Stone" was a nice touch. Wallace can sing better than Duncan, that's for sure. Every teenage character on this show has serious parental issues and now Wallace can join the rest of them. I can understand his being upset with Alicia (there is no excuse for lying to him about his father in my book), but he doesn't know *anything* about this guy Nathan and he's running off with him already? This can't be good.

The conflict between Keith and Alicia was handled very well. I can see both sides of the argument between them. Keith had no business stealing Alicia's personal documents, but she shouldn't have lied to him in the first place. And lying to her son was wrong also. Although Keith's not exactly a model of perfection in parental terms either. (He's a great dad, but he's made his mistakes.) All in all, nicely done by EC and EG. I hope Keith and Alicia can work out their differences though, because they have the only functioning romance on the show and I'd like to see that continue.

The best part of the episode was Wallace finally calling Veronica on her shit. She's been a shitty friend to him and he's sick and tired of it. She can be very self-centered and single-minded and it's great that someone finally has the nerve to point that out to her. Although that person should be Wallace and not Jackie. Jackie has no room to talk. Beyotch.

The Exterminator. Hee. A bug in a bug. Too funny. And I love how Keith just picked up the bug without a word. I know he's going to let V have it next week, though. I wonder if she tells him what she found out about Lamb blackmailing Terrence. She knows that it will break his heart to learn that Terrence has clay feet, so I doubt it. But then again, having something on Lamb is a good thing. I can't wait to see where they go with this.

I liked that Duncan reached out an olive branch to Logan in the form of a video game. That was cute and reminiscent of their "make-up" scene in AEFC. I do wish we had seen more of their reaction to Veronica's getting that "message" from Lilly. What did they say to each other? Given Duncan's recent behavior, I'm guessing he said something like "play another game?" Duncan is the king of avoidance. The scene with V in the hotel suite was cute, though, and they did look happy at the dance. For a minute.

I enjoyed the reappearance of Corny, Mandy, and even that bitch Ashley Banks. Continuity, yay. It was funny to see that the Veronicahate is still alive and well in the halls of Neptune High, Duncan or no Duncan. She's never going to be embraced by the 09er community at large because so many of them still hate her. Which is a good thing in my book. She isn't one of them and she doesn't want to be.

I could have used more Logan. But that sort of goes without saying in every episode. But Logan drunk at the dance was another blow for continuity. That dancing with Jackie was all kinds of weird. Did they go to the dance together? It didn't look like it, because she was getting pawed by the random dude earlier. So who was coming on to whom exactly? It looked to me like Jackie initiated the dancing and Logan was not at all into her, although there is no question that he flirted with her in homeroom. Something was off about their whole interaction at the dance. Maybe a scene was cut for time that might have explained the situation.

Jackie needs to die. Soon.

Dick and Beaver need to return. Soon. What is going on with them? Did Beaver confront Logan about Kendall? Inquiring minds want to know.

Question: Who was voted Homecoming King?

I totally didn't understand Duncan's line about feeling no love from the Mars family until someone explained it to me. It was all about Keith telling Veronica that he was pulling for Wallace for Homecoming King. Duh. Rooting for Duncan is like rooting for the Yankees. Okay I definitely get that. DK wins everything. I sort of wanted to see them announce Wallace's name as Homecoming King after he had already walked out of the dance. So he wouldn't even know and wouldn't get to have his big moment. And Veronica would have just stood there, stunned and distraught. ::sniff::

Boy, they have a lot of plates in the air this season. I can't wait to see what comes crashing down first. And I have faith that everything will come full circle by the end of the season, but they have a LOT going on in terms of subplots and mysteries, much more so than last season at this time.

Edited to add: The fact that Jackie TiVos Cupid is her only redeeming quality. I'd like to ask her what channel has been playing it. (And yes, I paused my TiVo to check out her TiVo "Now Playing" list. Didn't everyone?)


Episode Grade: A-

It was nice to have a Wallace-centered episode and PD brought it. Veronica was both the heroine and sort of the villain, and that's one of the things I love best about this show, that V skates a fine line on that likability thing. But Jackie needs to die soon or I won't be responsible for the damage I inflict on my television. If she goes after Logan, it's all over. I didn't enjoy this episode as much as "Cheatty Cheatty Bang Bang," but it was a solid and entertaining episode.

Favorite line: You're just here for your looks. Leave the heavy thinking to me, Sugarpants.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home