Talk of Life

Thursday, October 20, 2005

VM 2.4: Green-Eyed Monster

It's Thursday. Time again for my review and thoughts on last night's episode of Veronica Mars.

Last night was VM episode 2.4 "Green-Eyed Monster." So the monster has green eyes. Was that supposed to be Julie? Was she the "monster" because she only wanted to date a guy who had money? The recurring theme of jealousy was obvious, and the songs with lyrics about jealousy were a nice touch. (I heard two, but there might have been more.)

This episode clearly had the feel of a "filler" episode, as Veronica takes her first "official" case at Mars Investigations. I was glad to see her at the MI office again, back to being the disobedient daughter who takes cases behind her father's back. I was equally glad to see that Keith is two steps ahead of her again, as usual, and that he wasn't happy about her spending the night in Duncan's hotel room. Although really, what can he do about it, when he's not spending the night at home much lately either. But yay! She's officially back as his assistant, if only for two days a week. Go team Mars. I hope she can keep her grades up if she's juggling two jobs now.

Wouldn't it have been funny if Veronica had confessed to Keith that even though she spent the night with Duncan in his hotel suite, there was no hanky panky? Dad, I swear, we just had Chinese food and then went to sleep. He never would have believed her, of course, but the sad thing is that it was the truth. Veronica and Duncan spent their very first night together -- in a luxury hotel suite, no less! -- yet they looked like an old married couple as he slept beside her and she was on her laptop. Geez, keep the noise down, you two. Somehow I can't imagine that scenario happening with Logan. Hah. Live large, indeed.

The MOTW was just "eh." I thought Julie was up to no good from the beginning, and in the end, she wasn't. Okay, she did think her boyfriend was lying to her, but breaking up with him when she found out he was house-sitting was a bit of an overreaction. If she had only waited and thought it over for a while, and maybe asked him to explain himself, she would have landed the wealthy fiance of her dreams. Oh well. Sucks to be you, Julie.

The best part of the MOTW, though, was watching Veronica go undercover as the Lolita-like temptress. Veronica is always fun when she goes undercover and this time was no exception. I loved the bit about the roommate who might be more than that on occasion. Well, we're in college. Hee. I'm sure the male viewers appreciate Veronica in short skirts as much as we chicks dig Logan in a towel. I'm guessing, anyway.

Speaking of Logan . . . this episode suffered from a serious lack of Loganage. Okay, we got one scene, and he was back to form as his usual jackassy self. Does he really not know who Curly Moran is? Didn't Curly Moran's body just wash up on the beach in Neptune a week or two ago? Wouldn't that have been all over the news? I guess Logan's been too busy boffing Kendall to keep up with current events.

Weevil, on the other hand, has been completely clued in as to Veronica's whereabouts, even though we haven't seen him in the last two episodes. He knew that she had been brought in for questioning about Curly's murder, calling her Martha and asking about her ankle bling. Hee. And she recognized that the earring Lamb showed her last week was Weevil's! Good eye, V. But I'm still a bit confused about how Weevil lost his earring and how Lamb ended up with it. I know Weevil got a call about Curly, but why did Weevil confront Curly at the Road Hog again? I will have to replay that scene, but I'm not sure we were given much of an explanation. I know that Cervando supposedly scammed the "Fightin' Fitzpatricks," who are "meth addicts" and the local crime syndicate or something, and something or other happened at the "River Styx," and Weevil doesn't actually believe that the Fitzpatricks would off Cervando by hiring Curly to send the bus over the cliff, but it was all glossed over too quickly. How did Weevil's earring end up in Lamb's hands again? I need details.

So I have no idea what to make of that mysterious phone call to Weevil implicating Curly in the bus crash, but according to Logan, the call could have been made by almost anyone as the entire town of Neptune was apparently at his house during his "Life is Short" party (except for Veronica and Duncan, of course, and comatose Meg). Although does Veronica really know that the call was made from Casa de Killer? She knows that the phone number is registered in Aaron's name, but he could have another house somewhere, couldn't he? Can he really have five different land line phones registered at Casa de Killer? Somehow I doubt it. I know that the address where the number was registered must have been the address of Casa de Killer (or Veronica would have investigated further), but it just doesn't add up. (Or maybe I just like writing "Casa de Killer" because it cracks me up. It's possible.)

It was also a little weird to me that Veronica didn't mention the time of the call. She told Logan that the call was made to Weevil's cell phone on Saturday, September 24, and it was about two minutes long, but she doesn't mention the time of day the call was made? Assuming that Logan's party was on Saturday night, it would have been nice to know if the phone call was made at 10 in the morning or 11 at night. But I was so happy to see Logan by that point in the episode, I don't want to quibble.

Not only did I want more Logan in this episode, but I also really missed Dick and Beaver and the entire saga of the Casablancas family. Last week's episode ended with Duncan saying that Dick's dad (aka Big Dick) was "all over the news," and yet this week we get no mention of what is happening with the Casablancas boys? Did Beaver tell Logan that he knows about Logan and Kendall? It just seemed weird to me that there was no mention of Dick or Beaver at all, and how they were handling being the sons of a fugitive. I can only assume they are "laying low" at the moment, and this story will be picked up again next week. I hope.

The worst thing about this episode imho was the way that Donut treated Veronica. It's one thing for him to be dullard Donut, but this week he really became his own version of the "bad boyfriend." First we find out that he's been going to see Meg at the hospital *every day* and has failed to mention it to Veronica. Then he completely ignores her very valid question about why he's failed to mention that fact, and changes the subject back to Dim Sum. Nice. That sort of thing would have sent me over the edge at 18. First you lie to me and then you ignore my question so you can just avoid talking about this? I don't think so. We are so going to talk about it.

But the coup de grace, as it were, was making V hide in the bedroom when Lizzie showed up at his door at 2 a.m. Like a hooker?!! A very similar thing happened to me with a boyfriend in college and let me just say that a major fight ensued afterwards. Lizzie knows that Duncan and Veronica are dating, so why did he feel the need to have her hide in the bedroom? We know Veronica was majorly pissed, as she should have been, but she should have had it out with him then and there. At least after Lizzie left, anyway. Duncan has some splainin' to do.

I'm guessing that a clue to Donut's behavior might have been in Meg's secret computer files that Veronica, very uncharacteristically, chose not to pry into. Why did Meg have a laptop that her parents didn't even know about? (And how could she keep that a secret, I wonder?) And what has been going on between Duncan and Meg that might explain why Meg was so mad at Veronica and why Duncan has been acting so strangely? Did Duncan dump Meg after sleeping with her? That might explain Meg's anger at Veronica, but I think there must be more to the story. Duncan is obviously upset about Meg being in a coma and all, so why did he feel the need to pretend to Veronica that he isn't that upset? The whole situation is very strange. And the reaction of the parents was a little much also. I get that Duncan broke Meg's heart and all, but that was months ago. Why do they hold such a grudge against Duncan and also against Veronica? I'd think they'd be happy that Meg has friends who care enough to come visit her. I can only hope we learn more about this in the coming episodes.

Last but not least there was Wallace and his own personal saga of "Who's your Daddy?" So a paternity question raises its ugly head again. I was a little confused about Keith's telling Lamb that this mystery man from Chicago "Carl Morgan" was a known crook with a long record. Did Alicia lie to Keith about the guy's identity? That seems clear. But why wouldn't Keith have discovered Alicia's lie when he investigated "Carl Morgan's" background? Keith knew about his record, but he doesn't know that the guy is actually a cop? I think I must have missed something. But in the end, Keith knows that Alicia has been totally lying to him and that her real name is Cherie Saunders, or Rogers, or something. She's got secrets, that's for sure. And not just from Keith, but from Wallace. The plot thickens. Dun, dun, dun . . .

The less said about Jackie, the better. I have no problems with the actress, but Jackie just grates. Does she think she's going to go up against Veronica Mars and live to tell the tale? Dream on, sister.

Edited to add: Yay Mac! Her appearance was brief but welcome. I'd love to see more Mac, less Jackie. Please.


Episode Grade: B+

This definitely seemed like a "filler" episode, although it had some fun moments when Veronica attempted to go all Lolita. But I missed Logan, and I also missed Dick and Beaver and the saga of the Casablancas family, and the MOTW wasn't entertaining enough to compensate for the lack of Loganage. I want to get back to the good stuff!

Favorite line: If I rub your head, do I get three wishes?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home